24 May 2004

Defective Signal Lights in the Proton Wira?

Drove down to KL this time. It cost me around Rm100 one way (Petrol + Toll). I exchanged my car with my wife's. Actually we have the same make - Proton Wiras, but she liked my car's colour (Golden) better. Besides it is 1 year younger. Being the loving husband, I agreed and drove back to Kedah using her car.

On the way just after passing Tapah, I heard a sound and pieces of something flying. "Oh Shit!" followed by a "Oh God!" please don't let it be a puncture. I put my hazard lights on and stopped by the side of the highway. Fortunately, I didn't have a puncture but I found that the right side signal lights had come out and was hanging from the wires.

It was really odd because my own Wira had the same problem – the right hand side signal lights came out too. I thought that maybe it was just a coincidence. I tried to get it replaced free of charge because it was still under warranty but they didn’t have it in stock at the Proton Edar service center in Alor Setar. One of the guys promised to call when they had new stock. It’s been about a month since then. I used transparent cellophane tape to keep it in its place and will get it replaced in KL when I get back next time.

Now, back on the highway. I somehow put the signal lights in using whatever I had in my disposal including tissue paper, toll tickets and a sticker with a Quranic verse on it and reached my house in Kedah safely. I was just narrating this to my friend when he told me that his brother had faced the same problem – the right signal lights popping out. I later discovered that this was no mere coincidence and that several people who had bought the Proton Wira had faced the same problem.

I also noticed that the lights are made by Bosch. You'd expect better quality from a well known Multinational or maybe it is Proton that makes the casing or whatever you call it. I don’t know who is responsible (Proton or Bosch)but sure I hope they look into this matter. Actually this is not the first time I had problems with my Proton car. Read my old post. I wonder whether they know what they are talking about when they mention "Quality control" or "Customer Service" or even "Globalisation". Anyone with the same problem or knows someone who does, please contact me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin