21 January 2004

New Proton Cars

Just got some interesting news from a friend who works in Proton. Well I guess its not a secret anymore. They are going to release 3 new cars - a Wira replacement model, a Satria replacement model and a Tiara replacement model - all fitted with the Campro engine. My friend was gushing about the designs but I am more concerned about the quality. I heard some rumours about a large number of defects in the first batch of cars (am not sure about it) and my friend is keeping mum. Another area which Proton needs to improve is their service quality. I had some prety bad experiences. When I bought my new car - the engine conked out after just one week. I called up the Proton Edar's 24 hour assist and have to admit that their response rate was quite impressive and their team was there in about 30 minutes. It turned out that the alternator was "Rosak". How can a brand new car have a rosak alternator. I was really mad when they put in another alternator which didn't look brand new at all. They said that it was all they had. So when the it was time for my first free service (only the service is free, you still have to pay for the engine oil, etc. etc.), I told them about it. But they said it was new and did nothing about it. I didn't even go for my 2nd free service and instead went to my old trusted mechanic who gave me a better price than their "free service" and I got an free umbrella too. What about that. There was another case where my sister-in-law's interior car light went off just one week after she bought the car. She was noticably annoyed because it was her very first car- a Satira 1.5 auto bought with her own money. The guys in Proton Edar just shrugged and said "Sorry! Not covered under warrenty".
There are a lot of stories about their inefficient service and would take pages and pages. The only problem is that we don't have a choice and we still keep buying Proton cars. In fact, on weekends my in law's house looks like a mini Proton showroom with 2 Proton Wira's ( my wife's and her dad's), an Iswara (brother-in-law) and 2 Satria's (sis-in law and their cousin sis). Looking at it, people might think we are so brand loyal - Proton fans but if we had a choice and a little more money .....
Anyway, I will be taking a short break from the blogging World. Going off to KL today and then its off to Kota Bahru to visit my parents with my wife and Rahil. It will be Rahil's first trip on a plane and I am a bit worried but a lot of people lold me it will be OK. My dad advised me to bring a milk bottle and feed her in the plane. It seems that babies ears are a bit sensitive to the changing air pressure on the plane and sucking something helps. Anyway, Rahil is now about 3 months old and is growing at such a fast rate. She baby talks and smiles a lot. Of course I can't understand what she's trying to tell me. I will put up some pictures of her when I get back.

Gong Xi Fa Chai

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin