16 June 2011

Motorway rest area cons - beware

This weekend, we were on our way back from London on the M1 and stopped at the Toddington rest area to take a break. As soon as I got out of the car a guy approached me - white, about 5 feet 6 with short cropped hair, wearing jeans and a white t-shirt and sneakers.

He said that his car was out of petrol and that his kids were with him in the car ( he pointed somewhere far away and there were a lot of cars). He wanted to borrow £5 just to get back home. I instinctively reached for my wallet without thinking but I took a look at him and didn't really the look in his eyes. I told him that I didn't have any change. But he was persistent an asked me if I could take out money from the ATM. This made me even more suspicious and I refused and walked away. I was feeling a bit guilty and thinking to myself "what if he was telling the truth?" when I noticed he was then talking to another car driver but this time he was pointing in the opposite direction. It was then I realised that he was a con artist and I am glad that I trusted my instincts.

Not sure whether the guy is still trying to con people at the rest areas but be careful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin