28 September 2008

Importance of thinking positive

Just finished helping out at our office, packing bags for the new PhD students who are about to start their new life here are the Warwick Business School.

Anyway, this has been a fabulous week. First of all the weather was mostly great - bright and sunny.

The week started of quite slow and I was busy with a temporary web design job. Quite boring as all I had to do create several pages with lots of text and interlink each other but I made some good money.

Then on Thursday I attended the E-Business 2008 conference organised by the National B2B Centre based at The University of Warwick. Learnt a lot of new things which I am already putting into practice. Highlight of the conference was meeting "eMarketing Guru" Dave Chaffey. It is always nice to talk to the author of books you have been using.

Then on Friday, I attended the Introductory Workshop for Tutors in the Humanities, led by Mary Johnson (ex-Head of Learning at the Royal Shakespeare Company). It was an amazing experience. It introduced me to different ways of teaching. Some of the things I learnt included amongst others, the significance of space, movement and vocal quality. We even had to act out a small part from Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Another important thing covered in the course was the issue of self-esteem. Mary used a simple experiment to show the importance of eliminating negative self talk. Saying positive things to ourself can do wonders. In the evening I had the chance to see the effects. I was in a bad mood because of something and I remembered the stuff I had learnt earlier. Eliminating all the negative thought and talking positive to myself improved my mood almost instantaneously.

Yeah! It has been a great week and I hope it gets even better next week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin