15 February 2007

Alcohol and the youth


Channel 4 is fast becoming my favourite channel here in the UK. They have so many interesting documentaries.

Today morning there was this documentary called "Booze: A Young Person's Guide" on one major problem in the UK. I am sure you must have guessed it from the title.

It was not really shocking for me to see young people boozing away like there's no tomorrow because I went through that phase myself. Was just an inch away from becoming an alcoholic during my undergraduate days in University. We drank alcohol to enjoy ourselves and that meant getting dead drunk.

I no longer drink and haven't touched anything alcoholic for a little more than 6 years now. No more beers, whiskey, vodka or even an alcopop for me. I don't care when you try to convince me that "it contains only 1% alcohol". Never for me means NEVER!

Coming back to the documentary, what was shocking for me was watching kids as young as 16 drinking hard liquor, which had been bought by their parents.

A BBC report reveals that "alcohol causes more problems amongst teenagers than any illegal drug".

The documentary also points out that half of all date rapes are alcohol related. Something which an earlier BBC report had warned about.

Picture by Rick A. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 License.
Tags:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin