09 July 2004

OWL

OWL is a new abbreviation which I just invented and it stands for "Overwhelming Work Load". I am sure most of you have faced this phenomenon at sometime or other and I am at such a phase right now.

The past few weeks have been pretty hectic.I have so many things to do that I don't know what I should do first. I used to preach - "Get your Priorities straight, Manage you Time, Blah, Blah, Blah". However, as they say, it is easier to preach than to practise. Anyway, putting my MBA learnt skills to good use, I decided that the best direction that I should take was to tackle the problems one by one, by priority.

Our committee (of which I am the chairman) has to organise a particular event. In order to do that I had to conduct a number of meetings to decide who will do what. Like typical Malaysians, we has to sometimes go ahead with only half the quorum present, with the rest trickling in as the meeting progressed.

I guess the secret of a being a good leader is knowing how to delegate the various tasks. the problem starts when various people don't do the jobs they are delgated to do. Its realy tough when the members are actually your collegues and not your junior staff. The only difference is that you are the chairman of the committee. Thank God, most of my team members are really responsible.

I also have to have two papers ready ASAP and am only halfway through one of them. I haven't even started ont he other one. I am also halfway throgh one project and am now in the questionnaire design stage. The most important part is yet to come, namely, the data collection, tabulation and analysis.

Finally, I have my part time studies to take care off. I am slogging in classes every Friday night when most people are enjoying themselves. "Just think of the future rewards, Just think of the future rewards" I think to myself. There are the assignments, the exams and to pass I need at least a B.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin