19 July 2004

Disgusting

Last weekend I was just getting of the Star LRT at Taman Bahagia when I heard Arrrgh theeeew - the sound of someone clearing her throat and spitting the contents somewhere. Looking back I saw this women in tudung wiping her mouth. As I was going down I noticed this small blob of sputum on the platform near the escalator.

 Of course, I am not aware of what really happened. Maybe a fly flew into her mouth and she had no chance but to spit it out. But can't you please spit it on a piece of tissue or at least in the rubbish bin but not on the floor.
 
I guess its not so bad here in Malaysia. In India spitting in public is a real nuisance. Everywhere you go, you will see red markings on almost every corner. Those are stains caused by people who eat "sireh"  (beetle nut, Areca catechu, called paan in Hindi) and spit out the juice. I guess chewing pan is one of the most popular pastimes in India. The colour comes from the mixture of the leaves, the nut, lime (carpur in Malay) and various other things which they add to it.  Thank God! not many people eat sireh here in Malaysia.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin