03 February 2004

Id Holidays and the Return of the Kings

Just got back from KL early this morning and it's time to update my blog. And I want to clarify my answer to ShinShin about my wife - "Besides "she is nice when she is nice", I should add the following words "And she is always nice." ;-) You have to watch your words very carefully if you have a wife reading it, especially one who is as sharp as mine.
Anyway, the past few days were quite eventful. I had to sit for an exam (after so many years). It was quite OK even though I got some answers wrong. I hope I get an A. On Sunday, Aidil Adha started off with prayers at the mosque and of course heavy meals after that. It was kind of slow after that. Some family members came over in the evening and we had more food to accompany them. Groan!
Yesterday, we (me and my wife) finally got to see LOTR 3 – the Return of the King. Ho Hum! Yes I know. However, that’s what happens when you have a baby at home. We left Rahil in the safe hands of her grandparents and went off to see the movie at the only theatre in town still showing it –TGV at Sunway Pyramid. This was the first time after we had the baby. We were shocked when we saw the queue. It was so damn long. We came a good one hour early to catch the 3 pm show but we were only able to get the seats in the front row. Well! What can I say about the movie? It was worth it even though I had to stretch out on my seat and had a slight pain in my neck in the end. The battle scenes were amazing. The cinematic representation was a bit different from JRR Tolkien's version but I guess its OK considering that the movie would have stretched to more than five hours if they had put in everything in the book. My wife was a bit puzzled about the ending. She was asking me an endless barrage of questions about where the elves, Gandalf, Bilbo and Frodo were sailing off to and why. I tried to answer as best as I could but I guess you have to read the book to understand the whole background of the epic. Some of my friends brought up some interesting observations and questions, like for example, why did the eagles only come in the end. Why did the elves have to wait until the last moment to forge Aragon's sword. Also, if Aragorn had brought the ghost warriors earlier and sent them to defeat Sauron’s army, they could have saved a lot of time, energy and lives. Maybe they were against the policy of pre-emptive strikes, unlike some countries now. There are lots more and I will put them down later. I guess that what happens when you have people who think too much, sit down and discuss a movie.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin