02 December 2003

Adults refusing to get old

Just read this interesting piece in the Life & Times pull out of the NST. It says that adults nowadays are clinging to youth and that there is a trend for immaturity everywhere. I never thought about it but looking around me, I think that it is kind of true. My friends in their late twenties and some in their early thirties are still acting as if they are teenagers. Some of them were among the first to Q up outside the book stores for the latest Harry Potter book along with the teenagers and pre-teens. Frank Furedi, a sociologist at the University of Kent refers to this phenomenon as the "infatilism" of adulthood.
What happeded to getting old gracefully? I remember my teenage days when I couldn't wait to get out of school, go to Univ. then get a job and drive a nice car. Well now that I am "here", I tend to look back with a lot of nostalgia at my teenage life. I guess many of us refuse to accept that we are getting older. Go to any cinema hall or disco and you will find lot of these not so young people (including moi) mixing around with the teenagers. Look around and you will see similar tastes including clothing styles. I have noticed some mothers shopping for clothes with their teenage daughters acting as their fashion advisors rather than the other way around. Nothing wrong with that or is there? Is there a truth in what a friend said "kids now are more mature than us". I don't really know.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin