10 July 2005

Sick in GSC 1 Utama

Last Friday, we went to One Utama to catch the War of the Worlds. Initially our plan was to put Rahil to sleep and then sneak out and catch the midnight show. Fortunately, my mother-in-law volunteered to look after her, which was a big relief as we could catch the earlier show. Also we wouldn’t have been able to enjoy the movie - worrying about Rahil as the baby monitor was rosak (out of order) and sometimes the maid didn’t hear Rahil crying.

I parked at the ground level parking at the old wing and went up to theTGV cineplex. Discovered that the movie was due to start 10 minutes later. My wife suddenly insisted we go to the recenty opened GSC multiplex at the new wing. We walked all the way and after exploring a bit, finally reached GSC. For those who didn’t know, it is situated at the Entertainment level (fourth floor), next to the snooker center + bowling alley. They didn’t have good seats either and so we decided on the 11:50 pm show. Since we had a lot of time before the movie started, we went back to the car, took the tunnel and parked at the basement of the new wing. The elevator took us right up to the multiplex.

We still had more time and we decided to kill time at the Starbucks 1 level down. I had hot Café Latte and my wife had the same but with ice. We left with 5 minutes to go. I am not sure why but I was feeling a bit dizzy and my mouth felt bitter. I wanted to get a drink but looking at the queue decided against it.

The theater was really cool and had the smell of a new car. The sound system was great too. We also had nice seats, second row from the back.

After the movie started, the aliens had just started zapping people when the first wave of nausea hit me. I tired to pull myself together taking deep breaths and stretching but it was no use. I realized I was going to vomit. In my disorganized state I couldn’t even open the door. I thought that they had locked it from outside but it opened up when my wife tried it. I had been trying to push it the wrong way.

I rushed to the toilet, which thankfully was nearby and let go. After vomiting out most of the costly Starbucks coffee, I went and washed my mouth and face. I felt slightly better and went back into the theatre.

I was wrong, I had to make two more trips to the toilet and emptied the entire contents of my stomach. It felt like the time when I used to drink and had way too much. Fortunately I could still walk (and without the hangover).

My wife asked me whether I wanted to go back home and as I didn’t want to ruin our night out, decided against it. In the end, I kept my eyes closed for most of the movie and heard it rather that watched it. On the way back home, my wife drove me back reminding me of Eric Clapton’s Wonderful Tonight. And I ruined two small towels, which happened to be in the glove compartment.

I am not sure whether it was the coffee or something I had eaten earlier or the cigarette smoke at Starbucks. It may have been an effect of the anti-inflammatory drug I had taken for my tooth swelling (I had just removed another wisdom tooth on Wednesday). I may have been because of the smell of the theatre. Maybe it was due to the fact that I was tired and way past my bedtime or a combination of all of the above. Whatever it was that caused the nausea, it totally ruined my night out with my wife and we don’t get that chance often now-a-days. One of my worst experiences ever. And I have to buy the DVD of the movie now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch.. I hope you get well soon!

Anonymous said...

I can't stand caffein, I really don't know if its allergy or something else... whenever I drink coffee I would get dizzy and I would be throwing up over and over and over again until the coffee is completely out of my system. I can't even eat the coffee flavoured candy!!

narrowband said...

Man... hope youre okay now..

Dilip Mutum said...

Thanks for your comments guys. I am OK now.

Wan Mohd Fahimi said...

adam, it might be the coffee and the smell which just didnt get along very well. u have a baby monitor? how does it work? any details on that. i've heard on that u can monitor it thru the web and all, but thats quite costly aite?

Dilip Mutum said...

Hi Acid: A baby monitor is more like a walki-talki. The model we have comprises of a radio transmitter, which we leave in the room and we hold the receiver. Its quite sensitive and we can rush to the room if we hear Rahil crying or callign for us. Some advanced models are two way systems.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin